Tuesday, October 7

MUSIC MANIA: BLAST FROM THE PAST! Poison: Every Rose Has It's Thorn.


Posting Frenzy? Not really.. I am just really inspired by the comment my Mother-in-Law made on my last post (Blast from the Past: Megadeth: Countdown to Extinction, LINK HERE BOSS PLEASE. ONE OF THESE DAYS I NEED YOU TO TELL ME HOW TO link added...and yes, I need to teach you how hehehehe).

And everybody knows it's easy to impress or "WOW" your wife, but to be given the "praise" my Mom-in-Law gave me... Man that's something (THANKS A LOT MOM!)... Very few Son-in-Laws get that kind of compliment from their Mom-in-Law's.. Naturally my (everyone's) biological Mother would give that kind of acclaim! (MYMP: Make Your Mama Proud)

Hopefully this impresses her more.. (I know we share the passion for 60's, 70's & 80's music, and maybe I would be able to carve-up some songs/bands that we share a liking to). But right now I'm in the mood for underrated 80's Heavy Metal Bands with great lyrics and tunes...

So here goes nothing!

"Poison" is an 80's heavy metal band that is only known by few.. Although we always hear this song "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" on the Radio, very few people really know the artist behind this ballad. More about "Poison" here.

The band has a multitude of songs to boast about.. (read here) But I recommend you listen to "I wont Forget You"- a love song, "Something to Believe In"- a song about a Vietnam vet who lost everything when he got home (his family) and how society is unfair with the very few rich and lots in impoverish state, "Fallen Angel"- a song about a small-town girl who was blinded by the bright lights of the City and went to the City only to be disappointed and was exploited..

I recommend "Something to Believe In"-- it would really renew your "Faith" in your God (the Man above) and open your eyes to the dirt of society (economic-problem? I don't think so.. only the lower class is affected)... I also recommend you listen to it with the lyrics on hand...

Going back to "Every Rose Has It's Thorn"... This song tales of someone loosing the love of his life and he hasn't gotten over her, and to learn later on she wasn't really into him... And the allegory or the metaphor of a "Love" to a "Rose" having thorns is a masterpiece (at least I think so)... Thorns here referring to pain... "Like a knife that cuts you the wound heals, but the scar remains"(clearly talking about love being the knife too (love being bittersweet?)... We sometimes get hurt by the ones we love and though we forgive them the pain is still there (anybody who can't relate to this?). Clearly Love brings about mixed emotions and mixed feelings..

But there is a little hope as I see it since it goes.. "every night has it's dawn"... (Album: Flesh and Blood---and the album cover is a tattoo--noticed that?). Anyways, let me just let you make your own interpretation and appraisal of this classic ballad...

Rock on!!!



Poison: Every Rose Has It's Thorn
Songwriters: Deville, C C; Dall, B; Michaels, B; Rockett, R;

We both lie silently still in the dead of the night
Although we both lie close together
We feel miles apart inside
Was it somethin' I said or somethin' I did
Did my words not come out right
Tho' I tried not to hurt you
Tho' I tried
But I guess that's why they say

Every rose has it's thorn
Just like every night has it's dawn
Just like every cowboy sings a sad, sad song
Every rose has it's thorn

Yeah it does

I listen to your favorite song playin' on the radio
Hear the DJ say love's a game of
Easy come and easy go
But I wonder does he know
Has it ever felt like this
And I know that you'd be here right now
If I could have let you know somehow I guess

Every rose has it's thorn
Just like every night has it's dawn
Just like every cowboy sings a sad, sad song
Every rose has it's thorn

Though it's been a while now
I can still feel so much pain
Like the knife that cuts you
The wound heals, but the scar, that scar remains

I know I could have saved our love that night
If I'd known what to say
Instead if making love
We both made our separate ways

Now I hear you've found somebody new
And that I never meant that much to you
To hear that tears me up inside
And to see you cuts me like a knife, I guess

Every rose has it's thorn
Just like every night has it's dawn
Just like every cowboy sings a sad, sad song
Every rose has it's thorn.

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP